Road Travelled

  • Bijapur Lingayatha District Education Association (abbreviated as BLDEA) was established on October 23, 1910, under the leadership of Sri P. G. Halalkatti.
  • New English School, a school run by Germany’s Basel Mission, was handed over to BLDEA in 1914. This marked the entry of BLDEA into the education field.
  • BLDEA established Sri Siddeshwara School in 1917. This school provided free food and accommodation, and concession on fees to rural students.
  • In 1942, Sri Banthanala Sri Math’s Poojya Sanganabasava Shivayogiji, assumed the chairmanship of BLDEA and provided necessary support.
  • As per the wish of Sri Banthanalth Shivayogi, Sajjana Bangaramma donated 45 acres of land to BLDEA
  • In June 1945, under the then Bombay University, Vijaya Arts and Science Degree College was established. Over time, this college became affiliated to Karnataka University, Dharwad.
  • In 1995, Sanganabasaveshwara Agriculture Middle School was started.
  • In 1969, to mark the Golden Jubilee of BLDEA, a commemoration book on ‘Vachanapithamaha Dr. P. G. Halakatti’ was published.
  • Under the leadership of Poojya Banthanala Shivayogi and B. M. Patil, high schools were established in Savalagi, Tikota, Devarahipparagi, Theradala, Arthargaa, Shivanagi, Ukkali and other villages
  • Keeping in mind the progress of the society and realizing the need for professional education, Sri B. M. Patil, then General Secretary of BLDEA, established several educational institutions such as B.Ed. College, MBA College (Offering BBA and MBA degrees), Engineering College, Diploma College, Medical College, Pharm. College (Offering D. Pharm. and M. Pharm. degrees), Nursing School, etc.
  • In 1980, a CPEd College was established to provide training to Physical Education teachers.
  • In 1980, several career-oriented educational institutions (a B.Ed. College, a D. Ed. College, Dr. P. G. Halakatti Engineering and Technical College) were established.
  • A 700 bedded hospital along with a medical college was established in 1986.
  • On September 10, 1986, then Chief Minister of Karnataka Sri Ramakrishna Hegde and Dr. B. D. Jatti, President of BLDEA and former Vice President of India, laid the foundation stone of the hospital.
  • In 2003, Dr. P. G. Halakatti Memorial Hall was constructed.
  • Dr. P. G. Halakatti Memorial Hall was recognized by Hamp Kannda University as a Research Centre in 2005.
  • BLDE University was established in 2008 under the presidency of Dr. M. B. Patil.
  • In 2001, a lecture was delivered by Dr. Sri Shivamurthy Murughasharana on “Challenges of the Century” under the aegis of Sanskruthika Chinthana Balaga.
  • In 2012, former Water Resources Minister Sri H. K. Patil and Leader of the Opposition S. R. Patil visited the New Arts College, Tikota.
  • 2010 – Sri B. M. Patil Public School was established.
  • In 2013, then Union Minister for Labour Dr. Mallikarjuna Karge interacted with the students of New Arts College, Tikota.
  • In 2014, retired IAS Officer Dr. Shivananda Jamadar delivered a lecture on “Higher Education Under Pressure (Sankatadalli Unnatha Shikshana)”at a programme organized by Sanskruthika Chintakara Balaga (Cultural Thinkers’ Cohort).
  • Bharata Ratna Prof. C. N. R. Rao visited BLDE Association in 2015.
  • Although BLDEA has been established with the name Lingayat Educational Association, its activities are not restricted to the development Lingayat community. They transcend the barriers of cast, creed and sect and BLDEA is recognized as a secular organization.