Dr. B. M. Patil

Dr. B. M. Patil

  • Dr. B. M. Patil was born to Mallangowda Patil and Lakshmibhai on November 1, 1931 in Tikota.
  • He received primary education in Tikota. In 1944, he got admitted to Sri Siddeshwara High School for high school education.
  • Dr. B. M. Patil obtained a graduate degree in B.Sc. from Lingaraja College, Belagavi, before coming to Bijapur and residing there.
  • He married Kamala Bhai, daughter of A. T. Patil, one of his maternal uncles, on Feb 10, 1957.
  • He was elected as the General Secretary of the college union while studying at Lingaraja College and this heralded the beginning of his political life.
  • Dr. B. M. Patil was appointed as the Director of Bijapur District DCC Bank when he was 25 years old.
  • He served as the president of Bijapur Khadi Gramodyoga Association from 1971 to 1979.
  • He gave land to an Ayurveda College started by government in 1955-56.
  • In 1967, Dr. B. M. Patil was elected as an MLA from Bijapur city constituency. He became a Municipal Administration Minister in the Cabinet of Sri Veerendra Patil on December 20, 1968.
  • He got 162 acres of land for Bijapur government hospital from the government. The hospital was inaugurated on January 22, 1976.
  • In 1971, he made efforts to get government approval for a 70 lakh underground drainage project in Bijapur.
  • B. M. Patil’s efforts to bring water from the Krishna River to the drought prone Bijapur are noteworthy.
  • He established an engineering college on October 23, 1980.
  • He established a Medical College in 1986. Within a year, he also established a 700 bedded teaching hospital.
  • Dr. B. M. Patil left for his heavenly abode on July 27, 1990, when he was 59 years.
  • He was conferred a doctorate degree posthumously at the first convocation day of Rani Chennamma University, Belagavi, in 2013.